Skip to main content

Until there was you...


There were birds in the sky, but I never heard them singing...until we went to the Audobon Zoo. That's right. The most excitement came not from the monkeys or elephants or even giraffes, but from the birds. Seriously, birds. I mean, we have those in our own backyard. We traveled hundreds of miles and paid admission fees to see birds. Oh well. As for the rest of the mammals, I'm pretty sure she just thought they were all different varieties of dogs. Funkle Jess put it best when he said "puzzlement was a recurring theme." Other than uncertainty, the day was absolutely gorgeous and it was fun to have one of our first family outings. It was also incredible to watch her eat the world's biggest pancake (see photo). That may have actually been the highlight of her day, even over the birds.

Lots of other things to brag on since the last post. Although she still isn't walking, Pumpkin is cruising along the furniture and trying a few hands-free moments of standing. We're trying to teach her to sit from standing, which is a difficult concept to explain, so for now she just stands until she gets tired and then she screams until someone bends her legs for her. She has also mastered her ring game (stopping to clap for herself after placing each ring on the pole) and she can (somewhat awkwardly) eat mashed potatoes with a spoon.

With all of this fun, we did have a little bit of illness in there. During her latest battle of the ears and mystery virus, Pumpkin adopted a scowl that she showed to anyone who dared to look at her. The scowl basically said it all - and all that it said was "why in the heck are you looking at me." If you could stand the look for approximately 3 seconds, she'd then break into a bashful smile and love you again.

Several people took the look very personally though, including strangers in the grocery store and the doctor (whom I believe it was actually intended for). Since the last post we have been to the Children's Clinic at least 5 times and we are finally feeling better. The sad thing is that we have seen our new pediatrician so much in the two months we have been using him that when I ran into him at a fundraiser last weekend he gave me a big hug and asked all about how Pumpkin was feeling.

Now that it's finally Spring we all hope Pumpkin will stay healthy. We are looking forward to Easter, Jess and Mandy's wedding, and Pumpy's first birthday. While we aren't planning a big shindig, the guest of honor will most certainly insist on her new best friend Mickey Mouse being present. She has never taken to a stuffed animal before Mickey. The best part is that she could really care less for Minnie and literally tosses her aside as if to show her that Mickey's is HER man.

So, I apologize there's nothing earth-shattering in this blog. Pumpkin can play with the rings and is learning to feed herself with a spoon. So what, everyone eats with a spoon, right? Not right - everyone isn't my Pumpkin and though I hope to watch her eat with a spoon for decades to come, this first one meant everything to me. I find myself wondering if it is possible that other parents love their children as much as I love Pumpkin? To think that my parents love me that much, or better yet, that God loves us even more is just mind-blowing. Who knew there was this much love in the world - much less in my own heart? I know I never did...until there was Pumpkin.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello! The Phone is Ringing So I Say Hello!

I’m not sure what I expected, really. I guess I thought that when Pumpkin officially crossed the one year threshold into toddler-hood that things miraculously got easier. I had a little parenting-confidence and puffed my chest out just a little as I slowly toddled with her, grasping onto my index finger, to the doctor’s office for her one year appointment (see video for an idea of how slow slow is). I sat proudly in the “well baby” room (a place we haven’t spent much time) remembering the days I sat in that same room crying, looking frantically around for a spare diaper and praying they wouldn’t call her name before I could unhook her from her carseat (which took a long time back then) and changed her diaper. One year later here I was. We had come so far. I was proud of us and I looked at those new mothers with a little knowing pity. In all my one year of wisdom, I sat there glowing with the realization that the hard times were behind us. I didn’t have a “baby” anymore, I had a toddle

Good Night, Sleep Tight, Don't Let the...WHAT?

As many of you know, when Pumpkin was first born I was a frantic mess. Every time she inhaled, I timed it and then Googled it to make sure it was "normal." I did not have time to nap, even in those early exhausted days, because I was constantly checking the Internet to make sure that both she and I were doing everything "right." Unfortunately, I realized too late that the Almighty Internet is a wealth of knowledge...and of useless crap. Anyone who wants can post anything they want on the Internet. Take this Blog for instance - I have no particularized knowledge about anything maternal, but I could start writing exclusively about how if your child is not snorting five packets of Kool-Aid each morning, she is doomed to be a terrible speller. Of course this is not true (or at least there is no scientific evidence to back it up), but I could write it here and, based on my writing about my own "experience" some new mother would be at Sam's stocking up on t

Salute Her When Her Birthday Comes

So, I'm a year older than last time I posted. Birthdays have always been a time of introspection for me.  I have a natural tendency to get stuck in my own head anyway.  Occasions like birthdays only make it worse. It didn't help that this year I turned 33 on the same weekend as the Inauguration and MLK day. I'm sure you're asking yourself what any of this has to do with...well, anything. Let me start with 33 - or, as my sister-in-law put it in a text to me, "the age of Jesus."  That's right, as depressing as it might seem, I keep dwelling on the fact that I'm now the age that Jesus was when he died.  33.  He died on a cross to save all mankind.  I, on the other hand, was glad my children got out the door this morning without too much unidentifiable crust on their faces. Then there is MLK, who died in his thirties for the cause of all of humanity - peace, equality, love. And then there's the Inauguration.  Now, whether you voted for Obam