Skip to main content

Crazy for thinking...


I had to laugh at myself this morning. Not that it’s anything new, laughing at myself, but this morning I had a good guffaw at my own expense. It was another one of those moments when I realized that I know nothing absolutely about this crazy roller coaster ride called motherhood.

What made me laugh was nothing more than realizing, once again, for the umpteenth time this week, that Pumpkin is growing and learning at an amazing clip. It probably isn’t anything any different from any other child, but as my first (and, most importantly, as MINE) it’s downright amazing.

Now, that isn’t the funny part. No, the funny part was my memory of a comment I made after Pumpkin learned to walk. I’m almost embarrassed to admit the somewhat-disappointed statement I made just moments after the exhilaration of her finally walking settled in. This is what I said: “I guess the second year isn’t nearly as exciting since she’s had all her firsts now.”

Ha, ha, ha, ha. Ha, ha, ha. Ha. HA!

Okay, you can quit laughing now. I almost have.

Even just three months into this second year, I am dumbfounded by the growth and learning I see taking place every day. It’s been mind-blowing. And, no offense to the first year, but it has been so much more exciting.

Don’t get me wrong. The first year was life-changing, incredible, unbelievable, and full of more love and pure joy than I can imagine. But, let’s be honest. The first year was also filled with a lot of other stuff. You know, stuff like those first seemingly endless weeks where she was basically just a ball of need wrapped (not swaddled, since I never did get that burrito baby thing down) in a wool blanket in the middle of June, waking only to put me to work filling her most basic and sometimes vile needs. Then there were those countless moments of sheer panic – full-on-frenzy if you will – as I held a screaming baby that the Internet was advising either had an ear infection or some incurable genetic disorder (don’t worry, it was the former). And don’t even get me started about the nights. Oh, the nights. Fumbling around, looking somewhat like an escaped Charles Manson if he was REALLY crazy, unable to see, finding my baby by nearly poking her in the eye Helen Keller style and then standing in the middle of a dark nursery swaying like a maniac and crying in tune with her, praying she would just sleep. So, yeah, many of the firsts are over and I couldn’t be more excited.

I know you’ve probably heard it enough, but I can't say it enough - she’s becoming a full-fledged little girl – pretending, communicating, and just generally hamming it up for her adoring fans. When I see her sling her “purse” on her shoulder and start waving bye-bye, I am abruptly reminded that I am a living example to her and that she is watching my every move (no pressure there). I’m also reminded of how quickly time flies – it was just one short year ago that she was that unswaddled blob I referenced earlier.

Not that I am disillusioned that all the hard things are over. In fact, I’m sure in some respects the hardest are yet to come, like skinned knees and broken hearts, but I’m finally growing into my mommy-pants and am ready for all the exciting things that the second, the third, and the twentieth year, and so on have in store for Pumpkin. The world really is her oyster and I cannot wait to continue to grow with her and watch her become the little lady she is going to be.

As I watch her dancing to Mickey Mouse, I wonder if she’ll be a star musician; as I watch her devour book after book “reading”, I wonder if instead she’ll be a writer or (gasp!) a lawyer like Ma-Ma (or “Ba-Ba”, if you will). And at the end of the day, as I think about the endless possibilities in front of her, I realize that my parents and all other parents really truly mean it when they say they just want their children to be happy. That’s all I want for Pumpkin – happiness, whatever that means for her…and so far, my prayers in that respect are being answered.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello! The Phone is Ringing So I Say Hello!

I’m not sure what I expected, really. I guess I thought that when Pumpkin officially crossed the one year threshold into toddler-hood that things miraculously got easier. I had a little parenting-confidence and puffed my chest out just a little as I slowly toddled with her, grasping onto my index finger, to the doctor’s office for her one year appointment (see video for an idea of how slow slow is). I sat proudly in the “well baby” room (a place we haven’t spent much time) remembering the days I sat in that same room crying, looking frantically around for a spare diaper and praying they wouldn’t call her name before I could unhook her from her carseat (which took a long time back then) and changed her diaper. One year later here I was. We had come so far. I was proud of us and I looked at those new mothers with a little knowing pity. In all my one year of wisdom, I sat there glowing with the realization that the hard times were behind us. I didn’t have a “baby” anymore, I had a toddle

Good Night, Sleep Tight, Don't Let the...WHAT?

As many of you know, when Pumpkin was first born I was a frantic mess. Every time she inhaled, I timed it and then Googled it to make sure it was "normal." I did not have time to nap, even in those early exhausted days, because I was constantly checking the Internet to make sure that both she and I were doing everything "right." Unfortunately, I realized too late that the Almighty Internet is a wealth of knowledge...and of useless crap. Anyone who wants can post anything they want on the Internet. Take this Blog for instance - I have no particularized knowledge about anything maternal, but I could start writing exclusively about how if your child is not snorting five packets of Kool-Aid each morning, she is doomed to be a terrible speller. Of course this is not true (or at least there is no scientific evidence to back it up), but I could write it here and, based on my writing about my own "experience" some new mother would be at Sam's stocking up on t

Salute Her When Her Birthday Comes

So, I'm a year older than last time I posted. Birthdays have always been a time of introspection for me.  I have a natural tendency to get stuck in my own head anyway.  Occasions like birthdays only make it worse. It didn't help that this year I turned 33 on the same weekend as the Inauguration and MLK day. I'm sure you're asking yourself what any of this has to do with...well, anything. Let me start with 33 - or, as my sister-in-law put it in a text to me, "the age of Jesus."  That's right, as depressing as it might seem, I keep dwelling on the fact that I'm now the age that Jesus was when he died.  33.  He died on a cross to save all mankind.  I, on the other hand, was glad my children got out the door this morning without too much unidentifiable crust on their faces. Then there is MLK, who died in his thirties for the cause of all of humanity - peace, equality, love. And then there's the Inauguration.  Now, whether you voted for Obam