Skip to main content

Her Name's the Teacher


Well, the ABs survived their trip to Florida and except for a violent stomach bug that spread to half the family and a killer diaper rash, they are no worse for the wear. I like to think Hubby has a newfound appreciation for me (or at least the second pair of hands I provide) after maneuvering luggage and stroller through the airport solo and changing a stinky diaper in the tiny airplane lavatory.

Although they were only gone for a total of 48 hours, I swear Pumpkin grew and changed into even more of a little toddler-person than she already was. As I was watching her last night (my nightly entertainment) I started to think about all the amazing things she is learning. It’s little things like answering the telephone when it rings, or helping to put the dogs back in their kennels. Things we do every day – often begrudgingly – and never think twice about (unless the second thought is to begrudge, of course).

So we all know (and God knows I’ve written about it), that Pumpkin is learning lots of things every day. The world is her great big textbook and she has tons of new things to experience. But as I was watching her demonstrate her newly-learned skills, I realized that there are certain things that she already knows that we as adults have apparently un-learned along the way. Things we as adults need to re-learn like, for instance:

1. Celebrating a job well done…no matter how small the job. Every piece of paper Pumpkin puts in the garbage can (even those that aren’t actually trash) is followed by a huge smile and a round of applause from and for herself. She looks around proudly, chest a little puffed, to make sure we all saw that she did something that she is proud of. I think sometimes we as adults are either too modest or too self conscious or too something to just give ourselves a pat on the back every once in a while. It would sure make doing tasks a lot more rewarding. Rather than wait for a probably-never-to-be-gotten “atta boy” from my boss, I think I’ll hand him my next project and just start clapping for myself.

2. Dancing like nobody’s watching (but hoping they are). Whether it’s a song she likes, just because she’s happy, or because someone has said the words “Mickey Mouse” or any of a variety of other lesser occasions you’re sure to be met with a wiggle and a shimmy. Much like the clapping, she wants others to join in, shaking and smiling right at ya. And it really is contagious and hard to keep still when she gets going. I think the world would be a much happier place if adults would just start shaking it when they felt so inclined.

3. Asking for what you need. From clean diapers to Cheetos, Pumpkin has no problem asking for what she needs. While she doesn’t take a “no” very well (that is one of those lessons I hope she learns) I think we could all take a cue to just let people know what we want. It would save a lot of let downs and would make that “what do you want to eat; I don’t care” conversation every couple has every Friday night a thing of the past. Come to think of it, it would probably make a lot of arguments history.

4. Letting others hold you. When she bonks her head in the middle of one of her happy dances and her little pride is bruised, she has no hesitation in lifting those chunky little arms up and snuggling down into my shoulder while she nurses her “wound.” It’s okay to let others know you’re weak and even to let them ta-ta you once in a while.

5. Getting to know others. I don’t know whether it’s because we consider our “friend cards” full or whether it is some combination of the same low self esteem that prevents us from clapping and dancing and asking and snuggling, but adults are just terrible at making friends. A bunch of toddlers are instant friends. Pumpkin has no problem walking right up to the new kid in class and joining in an ongoing game of block building or shape sorting. Or, as in the photo, walking right up to her new cousin and covering her in kisses. You put a bunch of thirty-somethings in a room and unless there are libations, it’s bound to stay pretty quiet. We need to relax and realize we are all in this thing together and it’s a lot more fun with friends. For purposes of savoring this lesson, please disregard the picture where she is making one of those fast friends cry (“Making the Boys Cry” is a lesson for another day).

I’m sure the lessons I have yet to learn from Pumpkin are many and I’ll try to be an earnest student; I certainly have the best teacher a mama could ask for. All she asks in return is that, like the Jethro Tull song, I “jump up, look around, and find myself some fun.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello! The Phone is Ringing So I Say Hello!

I’m not sure what I expected, really. I guess I thought that when Pumpkin officially crossed the one year threshold into toddler-hood that things miraculously got easier. I had a little parenting-confidence and puffed my chest out just a little as I slowly toddled with her, grasping onto my index finger, to the doctor’s office for her one year appointment (see video for an idea of how slow slow is). I sat proudly in the “well baby” room (a place we haven’t spent much time) remembering the days I sat in that same room crying, looking frantically around for a spare diaper and praying they wouldn’t call her name before I could unhook her from her carseat (which took a long time back then) and changed her diaper. One year later here I was. We had come so far. I was proud of us and I looked at those new mothers with a little knowing pity. In all my one year of wisdom, I sat there glowing with the realization that the hard times were behind us. I didn’t have a “baby” anymore, I had a toddle

Good Night, Sleep Tight, Don't Let the...WHAT?

As many of you know, when Pumpkin was first born I was a frantic mess. Every time she inhaled, I timed it and then Googled it to make sure it was "normal." I did not have time to nap, even in those early exhausted days, because I was constantly checking the Internet to make sure that both she and I were doing everything "right." Unfortunately, I realized too late that the Almighty Internet is a wealth of knowledge...and of useless crap. Anyone who wants can post anything they want on the Internet. Take this Blog for instance - I have no particularized knowledge about anything maternal, but I could start writing exclusively about how if your child is not snorting five packets of Kool-Aid each morning, she is doomed to be a terrible speller. Of course this is not true (or at least there is no scientific evidence to back it up), but I could write it here and, based on my writing about my own "experience" some new mother would be at Sam's stocking up on t

Salute Her When Her Birthday Comes

So, I'm a year older than last time I posted. Birthdays have always been a time of introspection for me.  I have a natural tendency to get stuck in my own head anyway.  Occasions like birthdays only make it worse. It didn't help that this year I turned 33 on the same weekend as the Inauguration and MLK day. I'm sure you're asking yourself what any of this has to do with...well, anything. Let me start with 33 - or, as my sister-in-law put it in a text to me, "the age of Jesus."  That's right, as depressing as it might seem, I keep dwelling on the fact that I'm now the age that Jesus was when he died.  33.  He died on a cross to save all mankind.  I, on the other hand, was glad my children got out the door this morning without too much unidentifiable crust on their faces. Then there is MLK, who died in his thirties for the cause of all of humanity - peace, equality, love. And then there's the Inauguration.  Now, whether you voted for Obam