Skip to main content

Teenage Wasteland



I’m sure you’ve all seen that Subaru commercial where the dad is ticking off a vehicle safety checklist to his daughter who is seated in the driver’s seat. At first glance, he seems to be talking to a cute fidgety toddler. It’s only at the end of the commercial, that you realize he was only seeing her as a toddler and that she is, in fact, his beautiful grown daughter. It gets me every time. Every. Single. Time. That commercial is always followed in our house by tears, nostalgia for years that have not even passed us by yet, and, if she is close enough, a big and usually unwelcome squeeze of Pumpkin.

This morning I had a completely opposite experience. As I’m sorting laundry, I look up and, lo and behold, Pumpkin has draped a sports bra around her neck and is holding a set of car keys in her hand. I felt like her whole life had flashed before my eyes. I was no longer looking at my 19-month old, but at my 19-year old. Granted, I hope when she is 19-years old she is wearing her bra under her clothes and not still chewing on a pacifier (though, at the rate we are going, I can only hope). I should have been prepared for this moment, since it was just yesterday when she asked me for “ca-fee” like “mama.” Bras, coffee, car keys? I don’t even want to guess what’s next. What happened to my BABY?

Not only is she sporting adult accessories, but after our latest bout of sickness and home-boundedness, Pumpkin has been acting somewhat like a spoiled teenager when it comes to television. She does not typically watch much television, though the occasional Mickey Mouse Clubhouse has been known to help mama get some chores done. But when she was so pitifully ill this weekend, the only solace she found was in lying on the couch watching endless episodes of Mickey. She was just so darn sick that I let her. Now, every day when she wakes up and again when we return home from school I hear requests for “Mickeys.” Yesterday morning, while watching Mickey, I could not get her to look at me in the face or answer a question and was forced to turn off the television altogether to get her to listen. Again, I felt like I was dealing with my teenage daughter. Being ignored already? I thought this was the age she was supposed to hang on my every word and think I hung the moon.

And speaking of Mickey, since I have watched oh-so-many episodes of it over the past few days, I have to say, I have psychoanalyzed each and every one of the main characters. You’ve got Mickey, of course. He’s your typical nice-kinda-guy, err, mouse that is the sort of the glue that holds together this motley gang of animated creatures. Then you’ve got his lady friend Minnie. Again, pretty likeable gal, though perhaps a bit on the high maintenance side as far as girls go. Same for Daisy – the female characters are both pretty underdeveloped and mostly just high talking, bow-wearing ditzes. Not exactly the role models for a strong independent young lady, but not totally despicable like Barbie.

Next you have Daisy’s boyfriend, Donald. Now Donald is a jerk. You would never want to hang out with someone like Donald. Aside from the fact that ducks may, in fact, eat mice, he is just constantly griping about everything in that awful incomprehensible quack. He’s pretty selfish and anytime he does actually do something nice for someone he has to be talked into it by the others. Why Daisy is with him I will never know. It is your classic case of nice girl/bad boy and I suspect emotional abuse.

Then you have the dogs, Pluto and Goofy. I still have not yet figured out why one of the dogs actually speaks English and the other one only understands English but is much less “evolved” than the other. The one who does speak (Goofy), is, as his name would suggest, a total dumbass. He is always messing things up, breaking things, losing things, and the likes. Of course, there are those few episodes where he realizes he’s an idiot, threatens to pull a George Bailey until, in true It’s a Wonderful Life fashion the gang rallies behind him to convince him he does really bring something to the table. The truth is he is a dumbass. Probably the reason he is the one dude without a girlfriend yet he never realizes he is a fifth wheel.

Having actually put all these thoughts on paper I realize two things – (1) Pumpkin is growing up and it won’t be long before she is that little teenager I got a glimpse of this morning and (2) mama has been spending way too much time watching Playhouse Disney, maybe it isn’t just Pumpkin who needs the TV break.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello! The Phone is Ringing So I Say Hello!

I’m not sure what I expected, really. I guess I thought that when Pumpkin officially crossed the one year threshold into toddler-hood that things miraculously got easier. I had a little parenting-confidence and puffed my chest out just a little as I slowly toddled with her, grasping onto my index finger, to the doctor’s office for her one year appointment (see video for an idea of how slow slow is). I sat proudly in the “well baby” room (a place we haven’t spent much time) remembering the days I sat in that same room crying, looking frantically around for a spare diaper and praying they wouldn’t call her name before I could unhook her from her carseat (which took a long time back then) and changed her diaper. One year later here I was. We had come so far. I was proud of us and I looked at those new mothers with a little knowing pity. In all my one year of wisdom, I sat there glowing with the realization that the hard times were behind us. I didn’t have a “baby” anymore, I had a toddle

Good Night, Sleep Tight, Don't Let the...WHAT?

As many of you know, when Pumpkin was first born I was a frantic mess. Every time she inhaled, I timed it and then Googled it to make sure it was "normal." I did not have time to nap, even in those early exhausted days, because I was constantly checking the Internet to make sure that both she and I were doing everything "right." Unfortunately, I realized too late that the Almighty Internet is a wealth of knowledge...and of useless crap. Anyone who wants can post anything they want on the Internet. Take this Blog for instance - I have no particularized knowledge about anything maternal, but I could start writing exclusively about how if your child is not snorting five packets of Kool-Aid each morning, she is doomed to be a terrible speller. Of course this is not true (or at least there is no scientific evidence to back it up), but I could write it here and, based on my writing about my own "experience" some new mother would be at Sam's stocking up on t

Salute Her When Her Birthday Comes

So, I'm a year older than last time I posted. Birthdays have always been a time of introspection for me.  I have a natural tendency to get stuck in my own head anyway.  Occasions like birthdays only make it worse. It didn't help that this year I turned 33 on the same weekend as the Inauguration and MLK day. I'm sure you're asking yourself what any of this has to do with...well, anything. Let me start with 33 - or, as my sister-in-law put it in a text to me, "the age of Jesus."  That's right, as depressing as it might seem, I keep dwelling on the fact that I'm now the age that Jesus was when he died.  33.  He died on a cross to save all mankind.  I, on the other hand, was glad my children got out the door this morning without too much unidentifiable crust on their faces. Then there is MLK, who died in his thirties for the cause of all of humanity - peace, equality, love. And then there's the Inauguration.  Now, whether you voted for Obam