Skip to main content

Alleluia, Alleluia

Today is a bittersweet day for our family. Hubby is in Illinois saying goodbye to his sweet Grandmother Margaret. She was truly an angel on this Earth and I am so blessed to have known her and for her to have loved me and Pumpkin. There was something about her hug and the way she looked deep into my eyes to tell me she loved me every time I saw her. It was something I could never articulate in words. It was that she looked at me with Jesus' eyes, with His love, and with His gentle spirit. She knew Him, she loved Him, and she loved her family with His unconditional love. As I said when I learned of her passing, if she isn't in Heaven, then there is no Heaven. The sweetness of her passing is that she is reunited with her loved ones - a husband, two grown sons, an infant grandson, and our two angel babies. Sweeter still, she is with her Maker, her Savior, and her Lord. She is no longer suffering. The bitter part is obvious - perhaps selfish, but we will miss her. At first I was sad that she would not meet this second baby I am carrying. Then I realized, just like my dear Mee Maw before her, that Grandma Brown is getting to know my baby right now. Knowing, loving, and holding my baby before I ever do. In a few months, Mee Maw and Grandma will send that precious child down to us and I will know s/he has been kissed by both of them, is loved by both of them, and is watched over by both of them. I will know that a little part of the wonderful woman they both were lives on in my baby's spirit. In that I find solace. As I thought of Grandma Brown this morning on the way to school and work, Pumpkin started shouting out her song requests from the backseat. I think it was no coincedence that the ENTIRE way to school this morning she wanted to sing "lolla-loo-ya" (a/k/a "Alleluia, Give Thanks to the Risen Lord"). We both sang the glory of His mercy and I knew that Grandma Brown was smiling down on us then, maybe with our new little baby in her arms at that very moment. And it was in that moment that I realized how truly blessed I am. It is so easy to forget that, to get caught up in the hustle, the bustle, the frustration, and the worry. It's easy to focus on what goes wrong and the sleep I miss and the fact that Pumpkin already knows how to roll her eyes. It's easy to feel hopeless. But it is also hopeless. I choose to be blessed. I choose to count those blessings every day, to make every moment count, and to never let anyone I care about question my love for them. I know one day Pumpkin won't like me smothering her in kisses and randomly telling her how much I love her, but I will do it anyway. My babies will never question my love for them, even when they are making me want to pull my hair out (it's inevitable). I will sing Alleluia every day - because as I learned today, it just can't be that bad when you are praising Him. Happy Monday - give Thanks to the Risen Lord!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello! The Phone is Ringing So I Say Hello!

I’m not sure what I expected, really. I guess I thought that when Pumpkin officially crossed the one year threshold into toddler-hood that things miraculously got easier. I had a little parenting-confidence and puffed my chest out just a little as I slowly toddled with her, grasping onto my index finger, to the doctor’s office for her one year appointment (see video for an idea of how slow slow is). I sat proudly in the “well baby” room (a place we haven’t spent much time) remembering the days I sat in that same room crying, looking frantically around for a spare diaper and praying they wouldn’t call her name before I could unhook her from her carseat (which took a long time back then) and changed her diaper. One year later here I was. We had come so far. I was proud of us and I looked at those new mothers with a little knowing pity. In all my one year of wisdom, I sat there glowing with the realization that the hard times were behind us. I didn’t have a “baby” anymore, I had a toddle

Good Night, Sleep Tight, Don't Let the...WHAT?

As many of you know, when Pumpkin was first born I was a frantic mess. Every time she inhaled, I timed it and then Googled it to make sure it was "normal." I did not have time to nap, even in those early exhausted days, because I was constantly checking the Internet to make sure that both she and I were doing everything "right." Unfortunately, I realized too late that the Almighty Internet is a wealth of knowledge...and of useless crap. Anyone who wants can post anything they want on the Internet. Take this Blog for instance - I have no particularized knowledge about anything maternal, but I could start writing exclusively about how if your child is not snorting five packets of Kool-Aid each morning, she is doomed to be a terrible speller. Of course this is not true (or at least there is no scientific evidence to back it up), but I could write it here and, based on my writing about my own "experience" some new mother would be at Sam's stocking up on t

Salute Her When Her Birthday Comes

So, I'm a year older than last time I posted. Birthdays have always been a time of introspection for me.  I have a natural tendency to get stuck in my own head anyway.  Occasions like birthdays only make it worse. It didn't help that this year I turned 33 on the same weekend as the Inauguration and MLK day. I'm sure you're asking yourself what any of this has to do with...well, anything. Let me start with 33 - or, as my sister-in-law put it in a text to me, "the age of Jesus."  That's right, as depressing as it might seem, I keep dwelling on the fact that I'm now the age that Jesus was when he died.  33.  He died on a cross to save all mankind.  I, on the other hand, was glad my children got out the door this morning without too much unidentifiable crust on their faces. Then there is MLK, who died in his thirties for the cause of all of humanity - peace, equality, love. And then there's the Inauguration.  Now, whether you voted for Obam