Skip to main content

Jesus Just Left Chicago and He's Bound for New Orleans

 


This blog, much like the last, should come with the late-term pregnancy caveat that it might be either incredibly emotional or extremely disjointed, or some combination of the two.  Oh, and it might sound a little like I’m standing in a pulpit.  Consider yourself warned.
Yesterday in church we celebrated Morning Prayer in place of Eucharist because mom was in Lafayette meeting the folks at our sister congregation St. Barnabas.  Once the children returned to “Big Church” Pumpkin started telling me she wanted “Jesus” (i.e., communion).  I quietly explained that we weren’t going to have communion because Nona was in Lafayette.  Pumpkin looked at me quizzically and asked, “Nona took Jesus to Lafayette?”  At that point, all I could do was chuckle and say yes.  Any other answer would have resulted in continued demands for Jesus, which I could not provide but at the same time could not deny.

Not ironically the Gospel reading yesterday was about the little child being the greatest in the Kingdom of heaven.  Those of you who have known me through my many years of working with the little ones in the church know that I believe this with all my heart.  If you have not experienced it first-hand, the faith of a child is truly amazing.  From the innocent, pure way they worship; to the honest, raw questions they ask; to the manner in which they accept what they cannot understand – their faith should be an example to us all, as well as a jewel for us to protect and a seed for us to nurture.  If you have any questions, come by my house any given night and just listen from the next room while Pumpkin plays – you will hear her belting out “Alleluia, Alleluia, Give Thanks to the Risen Lord” and the Lord’s Prayer over and over.  Granted, during the prayer she asks that “our will be done” (which is deep in ways I am embarrassed to admit and may be the subject of a blog for another day).
Anyway back to Pumpkin’s question – it was one of those questions I couldn’t shake, even though she had long forgotten all about it (amazing what a powdered donut after church will do).  Where is Jesus in our Church?  Does the priest tote him around under his or her long robe?  Do we come to church so the priest can give us some Jesus?  More importantly, where is Jesus in our world at large?  When we do not have that concrete thing in our hands (like Pumpkin’s little communion wafer), does that mean he is not there?  That he is in Lafayette, perhaps?

This weekend I got the news of a local family whose three year old daughter drowned.  I do not know the family, but through friends of friends have heard their story, lifted their names in prayer, and cried for them.  In fact, as I sit here typing my eyes are drying after seeing a photo that a mutual friend posted of the precious child.  Although I never met her, she was an angel.  She is an angel. 
There are no words to say to someone after a loss like that.  It is truly unspeakable – unthinkinable – and yet it happens.  Nothing will take away the pain that family will feel for the rest of their lives.  Nothing will fill the hole in their hearts and lives.  Aside from their triplet one-year old girls, I am sure that even finding a reason to put their feet on the floor and get up is hard; that it physically hurts to even draw breath.  I simply cannot imagine.

Although it pales in comparison and I take nothing away from their tragedy by even mentioning it in the same blog, last week we also received some unsettling news.  The docs detected a fetal ovarian cyst on our sweet Maggie during my ultrasound last week.  Now, there is a HUGE chance that it resolves before birth or otherwise causes her no problems.  But with every chance, no matter how big, there is the other possibility.  We have prepared in the only way we can for the worst (docs and hospital on standby to perform ultrasound when she is born) and we are praying for the best.  At first I was devastated, frantic.  I attacked Google like a madwoman and read every article or blog I could find.  Of course, the only words that made sense to me were the ones predicting a horrible end.  I finally calmed down and gave it all to God (who had it all to begin with).  The fact is there is nothing I can do.  We will deal in faith with whatever the outcome is and, fortunately for us, the prognosis looks better than good.
But that still begs the question of where Jesus is in all of this?  Why do children suffer?  Why are children taken from us?  There is no answer – at least not one we can understand.  I do not believe it is God’s will, as I’m sure some well-intentioned Christians would say.  That is too easy.  It’s not only easy, it’s unfair.  It makes God a horrible God who kills children and leaves his followers heart-broken.  That is not my God.  But the truth is that I don’t have a better answer.  The fact is that my God is too big for me to understand.  I cannot explain things like this.  But a God that I could explain would not be big enough to fill our needs.  What I do know, is that even when my sad, heavy breath is stabbing my chest with each inhale, God is there.  When my head is spinning and my heart beating painfully in my chest, God is there.  When I feel most alone and most lost in this world, God is there.

It is in moments like this where I am reminded that I have no control.  When she’s being reminded she isn’t the boss (even though she might be the queen [of the king-sized bed; see below]) Pumpkin says, “mommy and daddy are the boss,” but the truth is we control nothing.  We were given these two precious little girls to watch and nurture but they are not ours.  In fact, our own lives are not our own.  Each breath, from that first breath of new life to the last heavy breath of death, is a gift.  We have no idea how many of those gifts we will have or that our loved ones will have.  All we can do is love each other; love the children we have been blessed to care for and learn from; and love the Lord.  We can only surrender to Him and trust that even in our brokenness, He will make all things whole.  My prayers to the Thibodeaux family.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello! The Phone is Ringing So I Say Hello!

I’m not sure what I expected, really. I guess I thought that when Pumpkin officially crossed the one year threshold into toddler-hood that things miraculously got easier. I had a little parenting-confidence and puffed my chest out just a little as I slowly toddled with her, grasping onto my index finger, to the doctor’s office for her one year appointment (see video for an idea of how slow slow is). I sat proudly in the “well baby” room (a place we haven’t spent much time) remembering the days I sat in that same room crying, looking frantically around for a spare diaper and praying they wouldn’t call her name before I could unhook her from her carseat (which took a long time back then) and changed her diaper. One year later here I was. We had come so far. I was proud of us and I looked at those new mothers with a little knowing pity. In all my one year of wisdom, I sat there glowing with the realization that the hard times were behind us. I didn’t have a “baby” anymore, I had a toddle

Good Night, Sleep Tight, Don't Let the...WHAT?

As many of you know, when Pumpkin was first born I was a frantic mess. Every time she inhaled, I timed it and then Googled it to make sure it was "normal." I did not have time to nap, even in those early exhausted days, because I was constantly checking the Internet to make sure that both she and I were doing everything "right." Unfortunately, I realized too late that the Almighty Internet is a wealth of knowledge...and of useless crap. Anyone who wants can post anything they want on the Internet. Take this Blog for instance - I have no particularized knowledge about anything maternal, but I could start writing exclusively about how if your child is not snorting five packets of Kool-Aid each morning, she is doomed to be a terrible speller. Of course this is not true (or at least there is no scientific evidence to back it up), but I could write it here and, based on my writing about my own "experience" some new mother would be at Sam's stocking up on t

Back to Work

I'm calling this blog "Raising Pumpkin" because Aaron calls our little girl Pumpkin Head. I started this blog for several reasons, one of which is to keep my mother-in-law up-to-date since she lives 1000 miles away. Another is that as I came into the office this morning near tears and frazzled, one of the ladies said my woes gave her chills and that I needed to keep a journal to remember all these things that I would laugh about one day. This is that journal. I hope it can be both an outlet for me as a mother/wife/daughter/sister/friend/lawyer and also bring some comic relief to these days when I just want to scream. So this was my first week back to work...and even though it was a short week, oh how long it felt. Day one was met with tears and nausea as I dropped Pumpkin off at her first of school. I was so worried that she would wake up and not know where she was. Aaron assured me that it wouldn't matter because she never knew where she was. So much for comf