Skip to main content

Over and Over

As we are getting our first tastes of sweet fall air (only in the early morning and late evening, mind you, but still tastes), I have finally slowed down enough to write. We've had quite a summer between moving, Bug's first beach trip, Pumpkin's swimming lessons, and weeks and weeks of good ol' fashion fun in the sun.

For those inquiring minds, be advised that Bug (despite her name) appears to hate all things elemental. From the sun to the sand, the waves to the wind, she was having NONE of the beach. The moment she hit the air conditioning at the condo, all smiles. I now know what it must have been like to raise me, but at least I found my own ride to the top of the mountain when I didn't want to hike.

Aside from her disdain for the outdoors, Bug is growing like a weed. She's moments away from walking and every time we stand her up to "practice" she stares down at her feet with a look that says "come on feet, do your thing" followed by a little confusion that they aren't responding. She continues to out eat her sister at every meal and we have yet to find a food that she doesn't like.

Pumpkin on the other hand just started PreK 3 and swim lessons and dance lessons. I have to admit I was a little emotional when I realized that with all these "classes" she is no longer a baby but a real life little girl. Of course, its no sooner that she says something so grown up I have to pinch myself to make sure I'm not in a Subaru commercial that I then see her curled up on the floor by her sister's crib because she is scared to sleep alone and I'm quickly reminded she is just a sweet timid three year old.

If you would have asked me yesterday what we've been up to I would have replied with some blank "you know, not much," but as I sit here and look in on the past couple of months I realize that much has happened. I guess that's what they mean by the days are long but the years are short.

Speaking of the days, lately I've started to feel like Bill Murray in Groundhog's Day. It's not even the repetitiveness of wake up, dress, breakfast, school, home, supper, bath, read, bed, do it again (though that certainly contributes) but it is the fact that I find myself not only doing the same thing but having the exact same conversations every single day. From "I don't want to go to class" to "why does Miss Angela only teach two year olds" and my answers of "you have to go to class" and "Miss Angela teaches the little kids so they can learn all the two year old stuff and Miss Ashley teaches you the three year old stuff."

Add to that listening to the same two songs every morning in the car ("Ariel" and "the Yellow Princess") followed by her asking me every evening when I walk in the door "who was at your work" to which I respond with a list of my co-workers and then every single day she asks "were there two Toms" (because one time I had a meeting with two Toms and thought it would be funny to tell her that) and since usually there is only one Tom I say "no only one Tom" and she always ends the conversation with "Poor Tom."

Because I'm human, sometimes my answers to these questions are a little snappier or a little delayed (which causes her to just ask them over and over without end until I answer) and I have realized that the only thing that changes every day is my emotion and reaction to her. My response to her little questions directly correlates to how our day is going to go. I saw it on her face last week when we were having the daily conversation about getting in the carseat and I snapped a little because we were running late and her face fell and her head dropped and tears filled her eyes. It was in that moment that (in addition to feeling 1 inch tall) I recognized that she isn't so much my mirror as my little barometer. She keeps me in check and as soon as my pressure rises, I see it in her eyes and if I don't stabilize quickly I lose her cooperation rapidly.

So let me answer that original question another way, what I've been up to is not "not much".  I've been growing as a human being and trying to raise two of my own (or three if you ask Hubby's friends :) ); I'm learning to display peace and love and joy to my children; and I'm making memories with them that I hope they look back on fondly. As I'm writing this my bro and his lovely wife are just days away from starting this parenting journey and I'm here to tell them, while sometimes it feels like Groundhog's Day there is no more tangible display of God's love and grace and mercy on this Earth than having a child.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

These are the days we'll never forget.

 So many times I have started to come back here, yet for one reason (excuse) or another I haven't. The last time I was here in April 2020, the world had only just started to feel surreal. Fast forward 30-something months and it feels like we are just starting to improve. I guess I haven't felt inspired to write much because we were not living the best of days; yet still, as the song goes, they are the days we will never forget. Since we last met, a major hurricane ravaged our hometown in August 2020, leaving many literally homeless (including my parents). The girls and I lived communally with friends in Baton Rouge where they attended school until our electricity was restored. Our home was mostly spared. My parents lived with us for several months while they rebuilt. My work since that day has been almost exclusively on assisting homeowners with their claims. I brought to trial the first two hurricane cases in Calcasieu Parish and we won both.  Also since we were last here, Aly

I Want You To Have It All

As those of you who follow me on IG know, I've thrown the idea(l) of a work-life balance out the proverbial window. Those scales will never balance and there will be days and weeks they tip one way before dropping back the other. There are times I am baking and carpooling like some modern day Donna Reed with a Best Mom coffee mug and other times where I feel like the Queen of the Courtroom, only to find out my kid didn't have lunch at school or forgot her ballet shoes. As an example, it is a known fact around my office that when I am in a big trial someone in my house is going to have a major illness  - literally these have ranged from pneumonia to emergency appendectomy. Talk about mom guilt - not only am I not there to love on them, I can't even really give them any mental energy until I am out of the courtroom. All of that is to say that life, an parenting, and lawyering are all like that - you win some, you lose some. Chasing some pipe dream of balance and harmony only

Hello! The Phone is Ringing So I Say Hello!

I’m not sure what I expected, really. I guess I thought that when Pumpkin officially crossed the one year threshold into toddler-hood that things miraculously got easier. I had a little parenting-confidence and puffed my chest out just a little as I slowly toddled with her, grasping onto my index finger, to the doctor’s office for her one year appointment (see video for an idea of how slow slow is). I sat proudly in the “well baby” room (a place we haven’t spent much time) remembering the days I sat in that same room crying, looking frantically around for a spare diaper and praying they wouldn’t call her name before I could unhook her from her carseat (which took a long time back then) and changed her diaper. One year later here I was. We had come so far. I was proud of us and I looked at those new mothers with a little knowing pity. In all my one year of wisdom, I sat there glowing with the realization that the hard times were behind us. I didn’t have a “baby” anymore, I had a toddle