Skip to main content

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year



It is, indeed, the most absolutely fantastical, magical, wonderful time of the year. As I drove to work this morning singing carols with the girls I could not help but remember a time where I was more grinch-like than Christ-like in my holiday preparations. I used to look towards the holidays cynically; gripe about the commercialization and groan at the cheer-givers in the elevator. Looking back I know now that it was me - I didn't allow the magic of Christmas into my heart. It was always there. Always has been. He always has been - that Christ-child whose coming we prepare for and celebrate during these crazy, glorious times.

It took two new sets of eyes in the form of my awe-struck and awe-inspiring baby girls to really renew the spirit of the season in me. Christmas-time is no less hectic, no less commercial that before; traffic is as crazy as ever and people are as rude as ever. Yet, I now know beyond a shadow of any doubt that I am amongst God's creation at every turn. I am preparing a place for Him in my heart, but He is already here - among us and inside of us.

I am trying to be more mindful of these truths. I am trying to weed out the things in my life, my heart, and my calendar that take away from my recognition of His ever-present love in my life. To be quite cliche, I'm trying not to sweat the small stuff. For example, yesterday I found myself offering a silent prayer that the person who cut me off in traffic to turn across four-lanes into Wal-Mart not only arrived there safely and scooped up whatever deal she was looking for, but that she found that deeper Love of Christ we are all searching for whether we know it or not.  Since the holidays began this year, my own family hasn't been to bed on time or gotten everything I've wanted done in any given day (our tree still has no ornaments), but we have laughed a little more, lingered together a little longer, and said sweet words more often. I hope we can capture this love and maintain it year-round.

Now, let me not give you the false sense that life is all gumdrops and candy canes at the Brown house. It's not. For one thing, Bug is now walking in full force and that puts mama's little heart and eyes on constant full alert. Rather than a totter, she has a little bit more of a stagger, which she does with her right arm cocked at a 45 degree angle in front of her and her wrist bent down like a princess in waiting. Her transformation from baby-dom to toddler-dom happened literally overnight during our Thanksgiving visit in Florida and it has turned all of our worlds a little upside down. Just as soon as I'm about to take what I am sure is my last breath in anticipation of a tragic tumble, she turns around with that innocent and mischevious face to offer one of her signature "huh-huh" chuckles.

Pumpkin, on the other hand, is in full Christmas mode. She's singing carols, making lists for Santa, oohing and ahhing every decoration, and searching each morning for Crazy Legs, our Elf on the Shelf. Last year I couldn't wait for the days when she would really "get" the whole Santa thing and now I'm stressing a little about keeping up this charade for years to come. Anyone who knows her can attest to the fact that the child is wise beyond her years.

This morning, Crazy Legs was found hanging from a light fixture which she had decorated with Candy Canes from the North Pole. Pumpkin was delighted at the discovery. She ran to tell her daddy and ran back to make sure it was still true. Yet after a few moments of standing in absolute awe, I could see the wheels in her wise mind turning and her joy turn to questioning and even a hint of skepticism. She looked at me with one eye cocked to ask about the mechanics of how the candy canes were hung on the light fixture and how the tiny elf carried so many candy canes. Luckily she could not visibly see or hear the rate at which my heart began to race as I calmly replied "I suppose it's because of her magic" and redirected her to her breakfast. She's already questioning me at 3, how oh how will I keep this up through double digits. At least I am hopeful that my little Bug will just "huh-huh" the elf and be happy to see her (and CANDY!).

Just as soon as I begin to doubt she's really three, her childlike and unconditional love shines through. After skating by the elf question, we were en route to school and an angelic rendition of The First Noel came on the radio. Pumpkin - without a bit of humor in her voice and in all honesty - asked whether that was her Nona singing. Now, anyone who knows Nona knows that she is the emodiment of the Lord's instruction that we make a "joyful" noise, but not necessarily one on key or in tune. Yet, Pumpkin's question made me wonder whether perhaps Nona's joyful noise really is beautiful. Perhaps if we were more Christlike, childlike, we would hear the angelic sound that Pumpkin apparently hears. Then, of course, after those thoughts, I had to just laugh.

I will try to write more in the coming days, weeks, and months, but make no promises. Life is speeding by and I hate to miss a single moment. Until we meet again, prepare ye the way for He is indeed coming and is here!  Enjoy His presence and this wild ride!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

These are the days we'll never forget.

 So many times I have started to come back here, yet for one reason (excuse) or another I haven't. The last time I was here in April 2020, the world had only just started to feel surreal. Fast forward 30-something months and it feels like we are just starting to improve. I guess I haven't felt inspired to write much because we were not living the best of days; yet still, as the song goes, they are the days we will never forget. Since we last met, a major hurricane ravaged our hometown in August 2020, leaving many literally homeless (including my parents). The girls and I lived communally with friends in Baton Rouge where they attended school until our electricity was restored. Our home was mostly spared. My parents lived with us for several months while they rebuilt. My work since that day has been almost exclusively on assisting homeowners with their claims. I brought to trial the first two hurricane cases in Calcasieu Parish and we won both.  Also since we were last here, Aly

I Want You To Have It All

As those of you who follow me on IG know, I've thrown the idea(l) of a work-life balance out the proverbial window. Those scales will never balance and there will be days and weeks they tip one way before dropping back the other. There are times I am baking and carpooling like some modern day Donna Reed with a Best Mom coffee mug and other times where I feel like the Queen of the Courtroom, only to find out my kid didn't have lunch at school or forgot her ballet shoes. As an example, it is a known fact around my office that when I am in a big trial someone in my house is going to have a major illness  - literally these have ranged from pneumonia to emergency appendectomy. Talk about mom guilt - not only am I not there to love on them, I can't even really give them any mental energy until I am out of the courtroom. All of that is to say that life, an parenting, and lawyering are all like that - you win some, you lose some. Chasing some pipe dream of balance and harmony only

Hello! The Phone is Ringing So I Say Hello!

I’m not sure what I expected, really. I guess I thought that when Pumpkin officially crossed the one year threshold into toddler-hood that things miraculously got easier. I had a little parenting-confidence and puffed my chest out just a little as I slowly toddled with her, grasping onto my index finger, to the doctor’s office for her one year appointment (see video for an idea of how slow slow is). I sat proudly in the “well baby” room (a place we haven’t spent much time) remembering the days I sat in that same room crying, looking frantically around for a spare diaper and praying they wouldn’t call her name before I could unhook her from her carseat (which took a long time back then) and changed her diaper. One year later here I was. We had come so far. I was proud of us and I looked at those new mothers with a little knowing pity. In all my one year of wisdom, I sat there glowing with the realization that the hard times were behind us. I didn’t have a “baby” anymore, I had a toddle