Skip to main content

The More We Get Together, the Happier We'll Be

After what can only be described as a frigid winter (3 ice/snow days with actual ice/snow!!!), we are happy for longer days and sunshine!  I can finally quit having the same argument with Pumpkin every single morning before school ("Can I wear a dress today?", "No, it's too cold," "What if I wear tights?", "No, it's too cold," "What if I wear a jacket?," "No, it's too cold, maybe next week," "What if I wear boots?" "Fine, but it has to be a long sleeve dress," "But I'm wearing a jacket...")

I've said it before and I'll say it again (but only here, where she can't hear me), there are times (many times) when I feel truly out-smarted by her. She is only 3. I have the advantages of vocabulary and literacy now, but sometimes I wonder what I will do when we are on more even ground (like, when she learns to read next year). A perfect example of her outsmarting me came as I was preparing to implement my latest and greatest parenting idea - Tot School.

This idea started after I noticed that my sweet little, laid back Bug was getting a little, er, shall we say, spoiled?  Unlike her sister, Bug isn't too interested in having long drawn out conversations (or talking at all for that matter); she wants what she wants, when she wants it, and that's it. Simple enough. The problem is multifaceted. First, most of the time I'm not entirely sure what she wants and she has no patience for that. Our dear sweet sitter taught her to do baby sign language to alleviate that problem. Bug picked it up like a pro and it honestly did help - at first.

Now, I will preface this by admitting I've always been skeptical of the baby sign language. I mean, we have to teach them to speak anyway, so why add an extra step in there that they are never going to use in real life. Setting that aside, we all learned some very basic signs and it came in very handy for the months between 9 and 12. I knew when she was "all done" or wanted "more" or to "eat." We all shook our hands in the air at the end of dinner like we were at a revival and there were, honestly, a lot less tears (both from Bug and myself).

However, at the ripe old age of 16-months I am certain that Bug gave me the baby sign language middle finger. It all started with the sign for "please."  It's harmless enough - rub your bent hands up and down your torso like suspenders - "please." Simple and polite enough. Unfortunately, about this time I started making Bug "use her words" to tell me what she wanted. She would grunt and point at a cup and I'd say "cup, cup, c-c-c-cup" and point to my mouth and hers. Instead of even attempting the word, she would sign "please."  I'd continue like a broken record, "cup, cup, c-c-c-up" and she'd start signing faster and faster up and down her chest.  As she was furiously "pleasing" her eyes would narrow into a slit that told me right where I could go if I didn't hand over the "cup, cup, c-c-cup." The baby middle finger.

Right then and there I decided Bug needed some structure and education in her life and I embarked on a Google/Pinterest hunt for help. I was very proud of the hodge-podge of curriculum and resources I pieced together to start her doing a Tot School program at home. I set up an area of the playroom to be her classroom, I made worksheets, progress reports, lesson plans, and learning centers. We were set to kick if off Monday morning with the theme "1 Red Apple." As Pumpkin was helping me carry apples up to the "classroom" she wondered aloud "why [Bug] was learning about A because [she] didn't learn letters first...Miss Angela (her 2 year old teacher) said they were going to learn colors and shapes and numbers before they learn letters and Miss Ashley (her 3 year old teacher) is the one who taught her letters so [Bug] should probably not be starting with letters, she should probably do shapes first."

I stopped mid-stair. Of course she should learn shapes and colors and numbers first. Did I really think this 17-month old kid was ready to bust out phonetics?  Why didn't I consult Pumpkin as my curriculum coordinator, rather than Google?  I had to make some last minute changes to my meticulous lesson plan to make it about red circles.

And she doesn't just have my life figured out; she has also made the announcement that she will be marrying her classmate (we will call him Cutie) and they will be living in New Orleans and having babies once they are married and grownups.

The problem with a smart kid is you can't pacify them with easy answers. She started soccer last week and we have been trying to convince her not to use her hands. We keep telling her you don't touch the ball in soccer and finally, in a moment of frustration she picks the ball up and looks at me like she's 25 and says "mom, someone HAS to be able to touch the ball or you couldn't get it on the field." Touché. Luckily I was able to one-up her by explaining that person is called the "goalie" and also happens to be the one who has the ball kicked at her head. I won that argument (1 for me and I lost score for her).

While I'm bragging, I might as well go so far as to confess she isn't just brilliant, but also wise beyond her years. Every time we go anywhere in the car (and I do mean EVERY TIME), we sing from one of her "church" CDs. One particular song - "The More We Get Together" - is one we repeat often and Pumpkin informed me the other day that she liked that song because it reminds her of her family that doesn't live with her and how it makes her happy to get together with them. I'd say in that one statement, the kid has it all figured out. Now, if she could only teach her sister to speak!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello! The Phone is Ringing So I Say Hello!

I’m not sure what I expected, really. I guess I thought that when Pumpkin officially crossed the one year threshold into toddler-hood that things miraculously got easier. I had a little parenting-confidence and puffed my chest out just a little as I slowly toddled with her, grasping onto my index finger, to the doctor’s office for her one year appointment (see video for an idea of how slow slow is). I sat proudly in the “well baby” room (a place we haven’t spent much time) remembering the days I sat in that same room crying, looking frantically around for a spare diaper and praying they wouldn’t call her name before I could unhook her from her carseat (which took a long time back then) and changed her diaper. One year later here I was. We had come so far. I was proud of us and I looked at those new mothers with a little knowing pity. In all my one year of wisdom, I sat there glowing with the realization that the hard times were behind us. I didn’t have a “baby” anymore, I had a toddle

Good Night, Sleep Tight, Don't Let the...WHAT?

As many of you know, when Pumpkin was first born I was a frantic mess. Every time she inhaled, I timed it and then Googled it to make sure it was "normal." I did not have time to nap, even in those early exhausted days, because I was constantly checking the Internet to make sure that both she and I were doing everything "right." Unfortunately, I realized too late that the Almighty Internet is a wealth of knowledge...and of useless crap. Anyone who wants can post anything they want on the Internet. Take this Blog for instance - I have no particularized knowledge about anything maternal, but I could start writing exclusively about how if your child is not snorting five packets of Kool-Aid each morning, she is doomed to be a terrible speller. Of course this is not true (or at least there is no scientific evidence to back it up), but I could write it here and, based on my writing about my own "experience" some new mother would be at Sam's stocking up on t

Salute Her When Her Birthday Comes

So, I'm a year older than last time I posted. Birthdays have always been a time of introspection for me.  I have a natural tendency to get stuck in my own head anyway.  Occasions like birthdays only make it worse. It didn't help that this year I turned 33 on the same weekend as the Inauguration and MLK day. I'm sure you're asking yourself what any of this has to do with...well, anything. Let me start with 33 - or, as my sister-in-law put it in a text to me, "the age of Jesus."  That's right, as depressing as it might seem, I keep dwelling on the fact that I'm now the age that Jesus was when he died.  33.  He died on a cross to save all mankind.  I, on the other hand, was glad my children got out the door this morning without too much unidentifiable crust on their faces. Then there is MLK, who died in his thirties for the cause of all of humanity - peace, equality, love. And then there's the Inauguration.  Now, whether you voted for Obam