Skip to main content

Sister, When you Cry, I Feel your Tears Run Down my Face


I always try to be brutally and painfully honest here, so I won’t hold back this time.  I have a confession.  I am a control freak.  It is probably my single biggest flaw, because it manifests itself in horrible fits of anger, anxiety, and impatience.  I’m not good with things not going my way.  It is a true battle of faith for me that I struggle with every single day, but never more than when Pumpkin referred to me as “grumpy mama.”
Specifically we were joking about Hubby being grumpy and Pumpkin’s matter-of-fact response was, “Daddy doesn’t get grumpy, only mama is grumpy.” Well, that felt like a hundred well-deserved knives in my heart.  I do not want my children growing up with a grumpy mama, or one they think is grumpy. And how dare I be grumpy in light of my innumerable blessings each day.  My battle is now one for my children’s happiness. Ironically, it is a battle that I can only win by laying my shield and my sword before God and surrendering to him. The hardest battle I have ever fought and the most precious prize on the line.

I vowed that day not to be “grumpy mama” anymore.  I vowed to them, out loud, right there at the dinner table.  They have been faithful in keeping me accountable.  Unfortunately, now even when I am legitimately frustrated or needing to discipline, Pumpkin’s sweet little voice asks “I thought you weren’t going to be grumpy mama anymore?”  It’s like I have my own live-in probation officer insuring that I am keeping up my end of the bargain.

Even with a few grumps, we had a wonderful weekend. I took the girls back-to-school shopping yesterday, with Pumpkin dressed from head-to-high-heeled-Cinderella-slipper-foot in a princess costume. The true beauty of her traipsing around town in the get up was that in her sweet little mind she was not in costume at all, just a dress. Her choice in pink everything only confirmed her royal birthright.

Boo-Boo was determined to buy only one thing – shoes. She said it to anyone who would listen “I wohn shoooooes.” Come to find out I had been shoving her fat little foot into a shoe two sizes too small.  When the shoe salesman put her in a size 7 she literally jumped into the air over and over for joy.  And by jump, I mean squat all the way to the ground and throw her self up and her head back without her feet ever leaving the floor.

While Pumpkin is my brilliant, brooding artist, Boo is my joyful, sweet girl (albeit it with a little bit of a temper, but one that is as fleeting as it is fiery). In church Sunday, the girls were marching in a circle around one of the rows of chairs during the sermon, seemingly in their own world. As Mother Boo spoke to us about the Word, she mentioned that the phrase “Abba, father” was a familiar way of referring to God, “almost like saying ‘daddy.’” Without missing a beat or a step, Boo Boo shouted out “DADA!!!!” for the entire congregation.

Then last night we played a family game of keep away from Boo with a big pink balloon.  Boo was having a delightful time, giggling and chasing the balloon squealing “meeeeeeee.” At some point, our dramatic Pumpkin tumbled over on her wrist. The cry that ensued made Hubby and I certain she had broken a bone. She held her wrist limply and was screaming so loudly I couldn’t even communicate with her. Finally, I told her that I had to figure out how bad it hurt so I could determine whether she needed to go to the hospital. At the top of her hysterical lungs she says “IT ONLY HURTS A LITTLE BIIIIIIIIIIIT.”

Hubby and I fall apart laughing.  I turn around to find Boo standing there with a trembling lip. I asked her where the balloon went and she just says “sis-sis, sis-sis”. I see the closet door is now shut and ask Boo whether she shut the balloon in the closet and she nods dramatically and says, sadly, “sis-sis.”  Sweet Boo was convinced the balloon had hurt her sister and while we tended to sis-sis, she got rid of the balloon.

This morning Pumpkin tried to play with the balloon, with Boo-Boo, and dear Boo burst into tears saying “noooo, sis-sis.”  I finally convince Pumpkin not to torture Boo with the balloon and when she gets rid of it, Boo hugs her waist and says “sis-sis.”  Nothing has ever melted my (sometimes grumpy) heart more.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

These are the days we'll never forget.

 So many times I have started to come back here, yet for one reason (excuse) or another I haven't. The last time I was here in April 2020, the world had only just started to feel surreal. Fast forward 30-something months and it feels like we are just starting to improve. I guess I haven't felt inspired to write much because we were not living the best of days; yet still, as the song goes, they are the days we will never forget. Since we last met, a major hurricane ravaged our hometown in August 2020, leaving many literally homeless (including my parents). The girls and I lived communally with friends in Baton Rouge where they attended school until our electricity was restored. Our home was mostly spared. My parents lived with us for several months while they rebuilt. My work since that day has been almost exclusively on assisting homeowners with their claims. I brought to trial the first two hurricane cases in Calcasieu Parish and we won both.  Also since we were last here, Aly

I Want You To Have It All

As those of you who follow me on IG know, I've thrown the idea(l) of a work-life balance out the proverbial window. Those scales will never balance and there will be days and weeks they tip one way before dropping back the other. There are times I am baking and carpooling like some modern day Donna Reed with a Best Mom coffee mug and other times where I feel like the Queen of the Courtroom, only to find out my kid didn't have lunch at school or forgot her ballet shoes. As an example, it is a known fact around my office that when I am in a big trial someone in my house is going to have a major illness  - literally these have ranged from pneumonia to emergency appendectomy. Talk about mom guilt - not only am I not there to love on them, I can't even really give them any mental energy until I am out of the courtroom. All of that is to say that life, an parenting, and lawyering are all like that - you win some, you lose some. Chasing some pipe dream of balance and harmony only

Hello! The Phone is Ringing So I Say Hello!

I’m not sure what I expected, really. I guess I thought that when Pumpkin officially crossed the one year threshold into toddler-hood that things miraculously got easier. I had a little parenting-confidence and puffed my chest out just a little as I slowly toddled with her, grasping onto my index finger, to the doctor’s office for her one year appointment (see video for an idea of how slow slow is). I sat proudly in the “well baby” room (a place we haven’t spent much time) remembering the days I sat in that same room crying, looking frantically around for a spare diaper and praying they wouldn’t call her name before I could unhook her from her carseat (which took a long time back then) and changed her diaper. One year later here I was. We had come so far. I was proud of us and I looked at those new mothers with a little knowing pity. In all my one year of wisdom, I sat there glowing with the realization that the hard times were behind us. I didn’t have a “baby” anymore, I had a toddle