Skip to main content

For the First Time in Forever

It will never cease to amaze me how two sisters from the same parents, raised in the same household, who even look alike can be so very different. Yet in their differences, they have the same profound effects on their little old mama. They exhaust me to the point of thinking I might drop while simultaneously keeping me on the tip of my toes, and my heart full.


Browns Unplugged has been a success. We have had quite a month, as Boo Boo turned two and fall began to roll in.


Pumpkin was telling the sitter that she was going to attend her first football game earlier this week. With hands, hip, and head bobbing she explained to her that it will be her first football game and told her matter-of-factly: "I've been having a lot of firsts. I had a first school bus ride, a first football game..." She didn't note the irony in my voice when I told her that happens when you're four.


She continues to push and stretch me as I learn to parent by parenting her. As much as she never quits talking (in fact, she told me she was considering being an attorney because she never wants to stop talking), she also never stops absorbing eve
rything around her. This is a blessing and a curse, of course.


It makes me cringe when she overhears an adult conversation (after a media scare earlier in the week about a possible shooter she heard me tell someone to lock the door and was interrogating me about why I felt the need to say it). Then, there are the times, when it tickles me pink. That would include earlier in the week when she was on the potty and I hear a gasp of delight from the bathroom. Then I hear the most delighted voice saying "mama, I looooove the new toilet paper."


Then there's Boo Boo, whose only goal in life right now is to either be just like Sissy or to make Sissy laugh. As Pumpkin was getting ready for dance class I saw Boo's face start to crumble and she whimpered "no sissy." After I explained that sissy had to go to dance, Boo jumped to her feet and said "I wanna dance" as she started shaking her booty and galloping spastically around the room.


But not to fear, she's starting to find her own voice too. The other night as I was putting on her jammies like I do every other night, she pointed angrily to the puppy dogs on her pants and says "no me jahm." After 20 questions, I realized she was saying she did not want to wear those particular pajamas and preferred to choose her own (Minnie Mouse, which she now insists on every night). Also, when I woke her up last weekend and said "good morning Boo Boo" I was greeted with a big proud smile as she pointed to her chest and said "I Maggie!"


Pumpkin is breathtakingly creative, finding creatures in the clouds and drawing pictures that I am certain are objectively beautiful. Boo could care less about ever touching another color but loves to bang, make noise, and scream for no good reason other than to give herself a reason to laugh. Pumpkin hates goodbyes, making them physically painful for everyone who has to endure one of her glares. Boo is happy to give a kiss and be on her way. Pumpkin loves the outdoors, Boo only wants to be "side" (read: inside).


Just when I think they cannot be more different, I walk up on something like I did a few nights ago - they were on the floor in Boo's room with nothing in front of them, just saying silly words to each other and then erupting into the most genuine, deepest belly laughs, complete with side-eye tears and rolling on the ground. They didn't realize I was standing there for several minutes. They didn't realize I also had tears in my eyes, but for different reasons. They will never realize how a mama's heart can be so full it literally hurts and that you can love harder, deeper, and more than words can ever describe.  They will never realize...until they are mamas themselves.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello! The Phone is Ringing So I Say Hello!

I’m not sure what I expected, really. I guess I thought that when Pumpkin officially crossed the one year threshold into toddler-hood that things miraculously got easier. I had a little parenting-confidence and puffed my chest out just a little as I slowly toddled with her, grasping onto my index finger, to the doctor’s office for her one year appointment (see video for an idea of how slow slow is). I sat proudly in the “well baby” room (a place we haven’t spent much time) remembering the days I sat in that same room crying, looking frantically around for a spare diaper and praying they wouldn’t call her name before I could unhook her from her carseat (which took a long time back then) and changed her diaper. One year later here I was. We had come so far. I was proud of us and I looked at those new mothers with a little knowing pity. In all my one year of wisdom, I sat there glowing with the realization that the hard times were behind us. I didn’t have a “baby” anymore, I had a toddle

Good Night, Sleep Tight, Don't Let the...WHAT?

As many of you know, when Pumpkin was first born I was a frantic mess. Every time she inhaled, I timed it and then Googled it to make sure it was "normal." I did not have time to nap, even in those early exhausted days, because I was constantly checking the Internet to make sure that both she and I were doing everything "right." Unfortunately, I realized too late that the Almighty Internet is a wealth of knowledge...and of useless crap. Anyone who wants can post anything they want on the Internet. Take this Blog for instance - I have no particularized knowledge about anything maternal, but I could start writing exclusively about how if your child is not snorting five packets of Kool-Aid each morning, she is doomed to be a terrible speller. Of course this is not true (or at least there is no scientific evidence to back it up), but I could write it here and, based on my writing about my own "experience" some new mother would be at Sam's stocking up on t

Salute Her When Her Birthday Comes

So, I'm a year older than last time I posted. Birthdays have always been a time of introspection for me.  I have a natural tendency to get stuck in my own head anyway.  Occasions like birthdays only make it worse. It didn't help that this year I turned 33 on the same weekend as the Inauguration and MLK day. I'm sure you're asking yourself what any of this has to do with...well, anything. Let me start with 33 - or, as my sister-in-law put it in a text to me, "the age of Jesus."  That's right, as depressing as it might seem, I keep dwelling on the fact that I'm now the age that Jesus was when he died.  33.  He died on a cross to save all mankind.  I, on the other hand, was glad my children got out the door this morning without too much unidentifiable crust on their faces. Then there is MLK, who died in his thirties for the cause of all of humanity - peace, equality, love. And then there's the Inauguration.  Now, whether you voted for Obam