Skip to main content

My Girl


Aly is my child.

Really. I just discovered this.

MY child.

Now I didn’t get results from a maternity test or anything (I think that is called childbirth) but I still finally realized that she is MINE. It’s only taken me 11 ½ months to figure this out.

For the past almost-year I’ve crept around doctor’s offices and daycare wondering what I should do (should being the key word). She didn’t come with a handbook, so this was a little tricky (and a lot maddening). I drove myself crazy trying to figure out what I should do. I worried that if I didn’t bring in her in to the doctor early enough I was a terrible mother. I worried that if I brought her in too often I was a terrible mother. I secretly wondered whether there were flags on Pumpkin’s file at the Children’s Clinic alerting the staff that I suffered from Munchausen By Proxy and to put the folks at the Tin Tower with the white jackets on stand-by to take me away (ha, ha).

Finally, I got to my breaking point. I stood up to the pediatricians. Well, sort of. I actually went behind their backs and made Pumpkin an appointment with an out-of-town allergist for testing despite their baseless assurances that it was pointless. It was exhilarating and terrifying at the same time, like speeding or sky-diving. I was almost giddy with the danger – what would her doctor think if he only knew! He told me not to have her tested and here I was…having her tested.

So off we went on our clandestine adventure. Pumpkin was a champ with the back pricks (not so much with the blood-drawing, but who can blame her). Aaron and I peered over her little shoulder while the tests were “cooking” and watched one of the tests growing and reddening. I felt such self-satisfaction upon realizing that she did have an allergy. I was right. Those doctors at the Clinic didn’t know what they were talking about.

Aaron and I started plotting out the future of our dogs and our home – in our medical opinions it had to be dander and dust she was allergic too. How would we break the news to her canine brothers? T-bone for one would probably be relieved since he spends all of his waking hours with one eye on Pumpkin so he can dart away when she heads his way. This daily struggle straddles the line between comical and pitiful. Pumpkin wants nothing more than to play with T-bone. Baylor is old news – he will sit there for hours letting her pull his ears, his tail, his eyebrows. Where’s the fun in that? It’s the dog that plays hard to get that she wants. In T-bone’s defense, he does try to like her. When he sees her on all-fours with that determined look focused on joining him on his bed, you can almost see him grit his teeth to try and bear it. But then once her tiny hand starts reaching for his fur, he’s gone in a flash. Her “I almost got him” look is simultaneously hilarious and heart-breaking.

All of that said, we decide T-bone won’t really miss us anyway and will be happy wherever there are blankets and adults. Baylor is resilient and will bounce back as long as his new family plays ball with him occasionally. The house is a little trickier, but we have our whole drive home to figure that out.

Then the doctor walks in. “Good news – no allergies.” Wait, how can that be? What about the big red blob on her back? What about the sneezing and coughing? What about…my eyes well up with tears. The doctor explains the blob was the “control group” and since none of the others swelled…

I know that this is good news. But, really??? Could her pediatrician have been right? My haughtiness about going behind his back fades quickly. Heck, maybe I do need to get fitted for that jacket after all.

I compose myself and we look on the bright side. At least we know and at least we don’t have to worry about treating allergies. Then the bright side gets even brighter. My baby doesn’t have allergies. I did what I wanted and needed to do to ease my own worries, I got a second opinion, and, in the end I was right to take her off all the allergy medicine that she had been prescribed without even having been tested. I realized (perhaps for the first time) that this was our life, this was our child, and we were doing it our way.

One week post-results and she is snotty and coughing again but we could not be happier. This is my baby and I’m treating her my way – love and hugs around the clock. And I must admit, I think it is working based on the smiles I am getting in return. And besides, sleep is totally overrated. I know in a few years I'll only wish she was asleep on my chest on the couch at 3 in the morning!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello! The Phone is Ringing So I Say Hello!

I’m not sure what I expected, really. I guess I thought that when Pumpkin officially crossed the one year threshold into toddler-hood that things miraculously got easier. I had a little parenting-confidence and puffed my chest out just a little as I slowly toddled with her, grasping onto my index finger, to the doctor’s office for her one year appointment (see video for an idea of how slow slow is). I sat proudly in the “well baby” room (a place we haven’t spent much time) remembering the days I sat in that same room crying, looking frantically around for a spare diaper and praying they wouldn’t call her name before I could unhook her from her carseat (which took a long time back then) and changed her diaper. One year later here I was. We had come so far. I was proud of us and I looked at those new mothers with a little knowing pity. In all my one year of wisdom, I sat there glowing with the realization that the hard times were behind us. I didn’t have a “baby” anymore, I had a toddle

Good Night, Sleep Tight, Don't Let the...WHAT?

As many of you know, when Pumpkin was first born I was a frantic mess. Every time she inhaled, I timed it and then Googled it to make sure it was "normal." I did not have time to nap, even in those early exhausted days, because I was constantly checking the Internet to make sure that both she and I were doing everything "right." Unfortunately, I realized too late that the Almighty Internet is a wealth of knowledge...and of useless crap. Anyone who wants can post anything they want on the Internet. Take this Blog for instance - I have no particularized knowledge about anything maternal, but I could start writing exclusively about how if your child is not snorting five packets of Kool-Aid each morning, she is doomed to be a terrible speller. Of course this is not true (or at least there is no scientific evidence to back it up), but I could write it here and, based on my writing about my own "experience" some new mother would be at Sam's stocking up on t

Salute Her When Her Birthday Comes

So, I'm a year older than last time I posted. Birthdays have always been a time of introspection for me.  I have a natural tendency to get stuck in my own head anyway.  Occasions like birthdays only make it worse. It didn't help that this year I turned 33 on the same weekend as the Inauguration and MLK day. I'm sure you're asking yourself what any of this has to do with...well, anything. Let me start with 33 - or, as my sister-in-law put it in a text to me, "the age of Jesus."  That's right, as depressing as it might seem, I keep dwelling on the fact that I'm now the age that Jesus was when he died.  33.  He died on a cross to save all mankind.  I, on the other hand, was glad my children got out the door this morning without too much unidentifiable crust on their faces. Then there is MLK, who died in his thirties for the cause of all of humanity - peace, equality, love. And then there's the Inauguration.  Now, whether you voted for Obam