Skip to main content

Mirror, Mirror on the Wall



I admit (while secretly hoping my bosses aren’t reading this entry) that I am addicted to the webcam at Pumpkin’s daycare. I think Aaron thought that was just a “new mommy” thing I did when I first returned to work because he was quite shocked when I made reference to the webcam the other day – like, “you still use that thing?!?!?” So yes, I admit, I am the overbearing mommy who checks in on her throughout the day and can generally tell you within a 15 minute tolerance what she is doing at any given instant. In fact, most of the time the screen is minimized on my computer, ready to be called upon at a moment’s notice.

Anyway, in addition to easing my still-relatively-new mommy anxieties, the webcam also provides lots of entertainment – at least as long as you can supply all of the dialog yourself AND fill in several second increments of time for yourself (it is not live action, but has a 20 second delay between posts). The 20 second delay can be particularly difficult since one moment you may see Pumpkin sitting in the middle of the floor playing and with a click of the refresh button she can be gone.
In any event, the webcam has helped me to get to know Pumpkin’s “friends” and her play habits when mommy and daddy aren’t around. Through this cam, I’ve come to know the previously referenced “Bully” (and watch his every move), Pumpkin’s “Boyfriend,” the “Crybaby” and all of her other class mates.

What has been really interesting to watch is Pumpkin’s total independence. I would venture to guess that 90% of the time when I see her playing, she is sitting separated from everyone else in a corner. Now, you can bet your bottom dollar that I checked this development out on the almighty internet and was relieved to find out that babies are not very social with one another at her age. I had to give myself a big "duh" on that one, they can’t exactly chat it up or even figure out what to do with most of their toys other than try to eat them - a uniquely solitary activity.

Thankfully, the almighty internet came through for me this time and I was able to quickly put to rest my fear of raising a future Goth-loner type in trench coats and black eye liner. However, I was still curious as to why that particular corner was so intriguing. As you can see, the view from the webcam is not great (that is Pumpkin in the upper right corner, turqoise shirt, with her face pressed up against a red toy), so I had to do a little investigating to figure out what she was enjoying so much over there. When I went to pick her up one afternoon I figured it out – what (or should I say whom) was providing her with seemingly endless solitary entertainment was none other than…herself.

That’s right – there is a mirror in the corner attached to one of the toys and, just like at home, that means hours of entertainment. I hope it is not a sign of conceit, but Pumpkin loves Pumpkin. She has always loved to look at pictures of herself and even has her own indestructible photo album full of – you guessed it – pictures of herself. And anytime I need to prevent a pending public freak out, all I have to do is pull out my IPhone and let her see the photos of herself (which she is learning to move with her finger).

And every single time she passes a mirror, a shriek of laughter rips from her mouth and she is all smiles. Before and after every bath, every night, we have to stop at the mirror for a few minutes and smile at ourselves. In the morning while mommy and daddy get ready, she plops herself in front of the full length mirror making faces. In the car, the rear facing carseat mirror serves Aly’s imagination more than my concerns (which were its original purpose). And heaven help her if the mirror is one that she can actually hold, because she puts it right up to her forehead as if she just cannot get close enough to the beautiful baby in the reflection. You can imagine how fun the Parade of Homes last weekend was since every house we toured had mirrors galore – including one with a room in which every wall including the ceiling were mirrored. Now we can add to that list, the mirror in the corner at school.

I’m afraid if we added it up, an inordinately large portion of Pumpkin’s waking hours are spent admiring herself. I’ll chalk it up to becoming self-aware or some other psychobabble (I’m sure the internet has something to say about this, too). But, then again, who can blame her. She is just so darn cute – and apparently she just appreciates beauty. And honestly, I guess it’s really not much different than me looking at her on the webcam. Now I just have to figure out what I’m going to do in 4 years when she starts elementary school and my cameras are taken away…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello! The Phone is Ringing So I Say Hello!

I’m not sure what I expected, really. I guess I thought that when Pumpkin officially crossed the one year threshold into toddler-hood that things miraculously got easier. I had a little parenting-confidence and puffed my chest out just a little as I slowly toddled with her, grasping onto my index finger, to the doctor’s office for her one year appointment (see video for an idea of how slow slow is). I sat proudly in the “well baby” room (a place we haven’t spent much time) remembering the days I sat in that same room crying, looking frantically around for a spare diaper and praying they wouldn’t call her name before I could unhook her from her carseat (which took a long time back then) and changed her diaper. One year later here I was. We had come so far. I was proud of us and I looked at those new mothers with a little knowing pity. In all my one year of wisdom, I sat there glowing with the realization that the hard times were behind us. I didn’t have a “baby” anymore, I had a toddle

Good Night, Sleep Tight, Don't Let the...WHAT?

As many of you know, when Pumpkin was first born I was a frantic mess. Every time she inhaled, I timed it and then Googled it to make sure it was "normal." I did not have time to nap, even in those early exhausted days, because I was constantly checking the Internet to make sure that both she and I were doing everything "right." Unfortunately, I realized too late that the Almighty Internet is a wealth of knowledge...and of useless crap. Anyone who wants can post anything they want on the Internet. Take this Blog for instance - I have no particularized knowledge about anything maternal, but I could start writing exclusively about how if your child is not snorting five packets of Kool-Aid each morning, she is doomed to be a terrible speller. Of course this is not true (or at least there is no scientific evidence to back it up), but I could write it here and, based on my writing about my own "experience" some new mother would be at Sam's stocking up on t

Salute Her When Her Birthday Comes

So, I'm a year older than last time I posted. Birthdays have always been a time of introspection for me.  I have a natural tendency to get stuck in my own head anyway.  Occasions like birthdays only make it worse. It didn't help that this year I turned 33 on the same weekend as the Inauguration and MLK day. I'm sure you're asking yourself what any of this has to do with...well, anything. Let me start with 33 - or, as my sister-in-law put it in a text to me, "the age of Jesus."  That's right, as depressing as it might seem, I keep dwelling on the fact that I'm now the age that Jesus was when he died.  33.  He died on a cross to save all mankind.  I, on the other hand, was glad my children got out the door this morning without too much unidentifiable crust on their faces. Then there is MLK, who died in his thirties for the cause of all of humanity - peace, equality, love. And then there's the Inauguration.  Now, whether you voted for Obam